- As of 2020, I am now playing the Edwards X-13, after many years of loving my Getzen 3001MV. Don't worry... Edwards and Getzen are family!
- Love my Getzen Custom Flugelhorn, Eterna Tenor 998 Valve Trombone and 3850 Custom Series Getzen Cornet! Thank you to Brett and the entire Getzen family! "Breaking up the Boys Club", November 2007
- Warburton Mouthpieces
- Check out the "Kiku" model mouthpiece!
- Facet Mutes
- Straight Mute: Brazilian Cherry, Cup Mute: Maple, Brusio: Spanish Cedar
- No, it's not musical equipment. But, these are so important for my career, health, and style. Lymphedema, caused by node removal and radiation, left me feeling self conscious about boring compression wear. Now? People ask me how they can get a cool sleeve, thinking it's just a style thing. Thank you, LympheDIVAS!!!
- Fantastic lip balm for musicians! 100% natural!
- Ultra Pure Oil
- The best valve oil and slide grease in the Universe!!! Thanks, Ken!
- Applied Microphone Technology
- I'm loving my AMT P800! Off the bell so I can swap out mutes, an extra clamp on my flugel makes switching simple, and the sound is out of this world! Specifically made for trumpet/flugelhorn. Highly recommended for all brass players - superb mic for live performance that is even worthy of studio recording!
- Loud Mouthpieces
- I only play that valve trombone with a 64LM!
- Shhh Mute
- No doubt about it, Shhh Mutes are the finest practice mutes around. I use the trumpet, flugelhorn and trombone practice mutes, as well as the trumpet straight mute.
- Soulo Mute
- Truly an innovative mute. I've used it on tour with Michael Bolton, with John Secada, Carly Simon, and on my second record, Red Light. I also love it for quieter gigs, like hotels and restaurants, where they may not be ready for the Full Ninja Princess, but it doesn't feel stuffy or change the feel. Highly recommended, totally free blowing and keeps your pitch where you put it!
Health and non profits that rock!
- Kiku serves on the Board of Directors for #Cancerland, and is actively involved in as many aspects of the non-profit as she can be. Please support #Cancerland's mission. #Cancerland is a media platform focused on changing the conversation about breast cancer through the honest voices of real women who are living with this disease every day. Through discussions of topics ranging from intimacy during and after treatment to the harsh financial realities of cancer, #Cancerland provides a platform to address breast cancer’s often ignored realities. #Cancerland rejects the notion that this disease defines the women who battle it. We are not victims marching to our pink ribbon deaths. We choose to live our lives fully and completely, while accepting the highs and lows of a disease that afflicts 1-in-8 women every year, and kills 108 individuals in America each day. #Cancerland advocates for research into therapies that will extend the lives of terminal cancer patients and that will cure Stage IV disease. Through our community, we aim to preserve the legacy of #Cancerland founder, Champagne Joy, and her mission to redefine the face of this illness. All donations will support #Cancerland, its mission, as well as trusted breast cancer research partners. #Cancerland is a certified 501(c)3 non-profit. Tax ID available upon request.
- The Tutu Project
- Kiku serves as an advisor to The Tutu Project. She became aware of the organization when first diagnosed in 2012, as she was looking for positive inspiration. The Tutu Project awarded #Cancerland in 2016 with a generous grant to further the #Cancerland mission, and the Carey's quickly became great friends, given their similar goals in helping the metastatic breast cancer community, which is often ignored and receives almost no funding (only 2-5% of funds raised for breast cancer research is focused on research for the already metastasized patient). As a Board Member for #Cancerland, it was a natural match to also advise for another positive organization for breast cancer patients like herself.
- As a Lymphediva Ambassador, Kiku is grateful to not only spread the word about fashionable medical compression wear that is necessary, but also, the condition Lymphedema itself. These are non-optional for her career, health, and of course, sense of style. Lymphedema, caused by node removal and radiation, left her feeling self conscious about boring compression wear. LympheDIVAs is dedicated to creating medically correct and fashionable compression apparel for the savvy and stylish breast cancer survivor (or patient), with lymphedema which will inspire her to feel beautiful, strong, and confident. The medical requirements are obvious, but the emotional aspect of healing is important and often ignored. A positive mindset can often lead to a much better physical response.
- Music For Autism
- Autism friendly interactive concerts - a thrill to perform for such a beautiful audience. Please support this wonderful cause! Kiku and her husband and trombonist David Gibson (www.jazzbone.org) have been awarded the 2017 Spotlight Artist Award for this incredible organization. Yes, they both cried when they were told.
- I Will Survive
- Having played in Gloria Gaynor's band since 2012, at the time of her cancer diagnosis, Kiku and Gloria have become good friends, with positive mindsets and caring for others in common, as well as both being Virgos! Gloria's charity site sells wonderfully crafted, inspirational tee shirts that support many different causes that the buyer can choose from (10% of each order is donated) “Empowering others is the cornerstone of IWillSurvive.org.I have faced struggles and summoned the strength to rise above. I’ve learned when you are knocked down, you get back up and dust yourself off, but most importantly, to embrace the life you’re living." Submit your survivor story. https://iwillsurvive.org/kiku-c/
- AnaOno - lingerie for breast cancer patients at any stage
- Introducing... the Kiku Bra! Seriously! Wonderfully soft and comfortable against surgical scars and other cancer related pains. Also doesn't bind, so lymphedema will not be affected if you have it - or the bra will not help to bring on this condition, if you don't have it yet!
- METAvivor is dedicated to the specific fight of women and men living with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. At the time of METAvivor’s founding, no organization was dedicated to funding research for the disease and no patient groups were speaking out about the dearth of stage 4 cancer research. While more and more people have taken up the cry for more stage 4 research, METAvivor remains the sole US organization dedicated to awarding annual stage 4 breast cancer research. In the sea of pink breast cancer awareness campaigns, METAvivor is the “Elephant in the Pink Room”. We work to raise awareness about metastatic, Stage IV breast cancer, and to fund research to extend the lives of people living with MBC. One hundred percent of all donations made to METAvivor go directly to fund grant awards for metastatic breast cancer research (unless the donor designates otherwise). Make a donation today in the name of someone you love, or consider planned giving and legacy gifts that will support our cause and save the lives of future METAvivors.
- Connie Cares
- Connie Cares is a non-profit organization helping patients control their lymphedema by providing lymphedema compression pumps at NO COST to patients. What a wonderful cause! Please, donate today, or pass along this information to a friend with lymphedema. You can let them know I sent you... #Cancerland
- AmeriFace, formerly known as Cleft Advocate
The best network of support for craniofacial anomolies. Kiku happily endorses AmeriFace, and appreciates your support! :)
- Cure Diva
- CureDiva, living stylishly through breast cancer! Who says you can't be fabulous through surgeries and treatment???
- Breast Cancer info
Every young girl and woman should be aware.
- Our Time
- What a wonderful organization - helping kids who stutter since 2001! What a thrill to perform for this organization!
- Stupid Cancer
- Empowering young adults with cancer. These guys have the most amazing gear too - go shop and donate and help folks out!
Sales/reviews of my music, and help along the way!
- International Trumpet Guild
- Yes! I'm not only a member, but I'm also thrilled to be featured in the October 2008 issue! Thank you to the ITG and Del Lyren! What a fantastic publication, I can't believe I didn't join sooner!
- All About Jazz
- Special Studies for Trumpet
- I haven't been excited about a "trumpet workbook" for a VERY long time. This is one to buy and use and accelerate your face! John is a wonderful musician and human being, and I'm glad to have been introduced to him and his fabulous new book!
- Innova Records
- They love me. They really, really love me! :)
- Affluent Mag
- Thank you to Danielle Phillips for the lovely "High Class Brass" interview!
- BBC brass feature
- Thank you, BBC, for the lovely piece from Durham Brass Festival!
- Le Jazz Affair
- Thank you, Sal Calfa, for spinning my tunes! http://www.lejazzaffair.com/LeJazzAffair188-091607.mp3
- My home away from home, but in my home! Love my Vocal Booth!
- Thank you to George Politopoulos for the lovely review and for spinning the record!
- 89.1 in Michigan, a part of NPR, is now spinning my record on the Jazz shows! Thank you so much, especially to Peter at the station who discovered me, and Linda Yohn, WEMU Music Director!!!
- Jazz Colours Magazine
- June 2007 sports a full 3 page article on the "Princess of Smooth Jazz"! Thank you to Antonio Terzo for the most enjoyable interview during my trip to Palermo!
- Salsa and Latin Jazz music web-radio! Mr. Barista is a big hit over there!!!
- Josh Landress Brass!
- This guy is really a God of sorts. He will fix your beat up horn, build you a new one, find obscure stuff for ya, definitley my best connection and hornsaver! Go spend lots of money on his services and horns, and tell him I sent you!
- The Jazz Suite
- Hot House Jazz
- Smooth Jazz
- Nice little plug for the record!
- The Brass Group
- I had such a wonderful time in Palermo/Agrigento, and I hope to be back soon! Thank you, Brass Group!!!
- Issue 1003 is graciously ranking the album "Here With Me" at #7 for Jazz soon after my arrival! Thank you, CMJ!
- Currently spinning some Kiku Collins favorites!
- Harris Radio
- Check out Harris Radio for some Kiku Collins tracks as well as some other fabulous indie music! (No relation to my producer Julian Harris)
- The Fevered Brain of Radio Mike
- Radio Mike just wants to make the world safe for good music around the world to thrive and multiply. Plus he thinks the Ninja Princess is pretty cool!
Meet the Band and Crew- Red Light
- Alex Alexander
Sponsored by: Zildjian Cymbals, Yamaha Drums, Vic Firth Sticks, Remo Drumheads, and Rhythm Tech Percussion.
- Xavier Davis
- Hendrik Helmer
- Malcolm Gold
- Guest artists on Red Light
Al Chez, trumpet
TubaJoe Exley, Tuba
Greg Clark and Tani Trentlyon, Vocals
Francesco Guaiana, Guitar
Luca Lo Bianco, Bass
Massimo D'aleo, Drums*David Gibson plays Rath trombones and mouthpieces exclusively
**Elizabeth! plays a Getzen trombone exclusively
- Recording and Design
- Recording the band, mixing the record:Alan Camlet at Hoboken Recorders
Photography: Karen Skaar-Razon
CD Design: James Perales
Thank you to everyone who helped me kickstart the second album!
- Dillon Music
Center Stage Donor!
- Mark Schwartz, CFO for Instrumental Change
Front Row Donor!
- Anna Perales
Front Row Donor!
- Robert Schultz
Front Row Donor!
- Tony Royle
Front Row Donor!
- Robert Hwang
Front Row Donor!
- Roger, Ayako and Walt Rowen
Front Row Donor!
- Darrell Looney
Front Row Donor!
- Doc D'Errico
Front Row Donor!
- Olivier te Boekhorst
- KayLeigh Campbell
- Paul Montella
- Steve Rubinacci
- Dr. Kathleen Pereillo
- Keith Lewis
- Barbara Chickosky
- Sonia B Mellor
- Torpedo Bags - Steve Kreisel
- Pat Shaner
- Don, Cathie & Teeter Sears
- Alvin S. Walker II
- Vicki Goble
- Nick Mondello -Big Toots Enterprises
- Jill Troutman
- Gene Ramsay
- Arie Lev
- Chopsaver Lip Care - Dan Gosling
- Jon Lowrie
- Janis Liebhart
- Howard Kiecke
- Asher Hockett
- Karin Perry
- Willard Morgan
- Natalie Dungey
- Stefan Held
- Joyce Bentz
- Mike Vax
- Peter Silver, DDS
- Michael Grasso
- Radio Mike
- Mark Edward Turner
- Stan Judson
- Karen and Harry Razon
- HorizonVU Music
- Carolyn Albert
- Doug McDonald
- Krista S. Jones
- Kenneth Fields
Miscellaneous but not nonsense!
- Weight Watchers recipe cards from 1974
- Wow, there are some AMAZING recipes here - stunning presentations too... a must read! Never fails - I laugh until I cry every time I go here! Read EACH AND EVERY CARD! You'll be glad you did! ;)
- List of trumpeters and their equipment!
- I found a link to my site here and thought it was pretty cool!
- Girls Can't WHAT?
- Gretchen is a sweetheart and is all about empowering chicks to do whatever they want! Including play the trumpet!